The Summer Campers at Kern are ready for the Heat!
No, not that team from Miami who recently won a championship…the kids at Camp Kern are prepped for a record-breaking hot streak to come through Ohio tomorrow. The temperature for June 28th, 2012 is predicting a 101 degree day! Whether you are in the Oregonia, Ohio area or not, it’s likely that you’re experiencing some similar heat in your area. Well, at Camp Kern we not only LOVE summer and heat, we are really careful and prepared to deal with it.
Here are some of Camp Kern’s favorite hot-weather tips:
- HYDRATE! Getting enough water is incredibly important. Everyone at camp has a water bottle, and there are hydration stations set up all over camp, so it’s easy to keep that bottle topped off.
- Slip, Slap, Slop. Slip on some sunglasses, Slap on a hat, and Slop on some sunscreen.
- Get wet! This is probably our favorite way to beat the heat. Swimming in the pool, water balloon fights, slip n’ slides, sponge fights,
squirt guns, and drip-drip-drop (duck-duck-goose with water) are all great ways to stay cool.
- Take breaks. When it’s hot out, you can’t go a your normal full speed pace all the time. It’s a great time to take short breaks frequently, and to plan on activities in the shade and indoors if necessary.
- Rejuvenate in the Air Conditioning! Most of Camp Kern’s cabins are air-conditioned, the dining hall is air-conditioned, and all of our meeting spaces are air conditioned. This gives campers a chance to get some good rest at night, along with making meal times much more comfortable. We certainly love our outdoor nature time, but it’s nice to recharge a bit inside.
Enjoy your time in the sun, and make sure you are “Camp Kern Safe” while you play outside! Happy Summer!