Outdoor Educator Positions
We are seeking educators to lead a wide variety of natural history, pioneer, Native American, and group cooperation activities. Educators also lead games, high ropes course, campfires, wall climbing, hayrides, canoeing, night hikes, and more. Working at Kern is an exciting and demanding experience.
Our Outdoor Education Program serves about 7,000 students (mostly 5th and 6th graders) a year in groups of 20 to 250 students. In addition to our accommodations and lodges, Camp Kern has a log cabin built in the 1830’s, two man-made lakes, ravines full of fossils, a nature center, high and low ropes courses, climbing walls, the regions largest canopy tour, an indoor horse riding arena, canoes, archery ranges, climax growth forests, and plenty more. Ohio’s largest prehistoric earthworks (Ft. Ancient) with a large Native American museum are within hiking distance. In short, Camp Kern has an amazing array of resources making it a great place to teach.
A typical day may involve: coordinating students in dining hall set up, portraying an early 19th century pioneer in a living history program, leading a group of students through a natural history course (such as forest ecology, geology, pond study, etc), leading a hike or craft, and singing at a campfire. Outdoor Educators also work with our weekend groups up to two times a month (this usually means a six hour shift on a Saturday and extra pay). It is a diverse and demanding job.
Positions available during spring and fall seasons.
• $320 per week pay
• Medical Insurance for year-round staff
• Membership to nearby full-service YMCA
• Teach environmental education, team building and early Ohio history classes.
• Lead small and large group activities.
• Assist with program development.
• Communicate with all camp departments regarding needs and schedules.
• Participate actively as a member of the camp wide staff.
• Must love working outdoors and with children
• Residential outdoor education or summer camp counselor experience preferred
• Strong communication skills
• Able to work long hours (including evenings and weekends) while constantly on the go
• Good physical condition, able to hike a distance of several miles over hilly terrain
• Flexible, energetic, solid sense of humor
For more information about the position or to apply, please give me a call or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outdoor Education Director