Counselors-In-Training (CIT) Program – Age 16
2017 CIT Sessions:
Sessions 1 & 2
Sessions 3 & 4
Sessions 5 & 6
Sessions 7 & 8
This two week program is a wonderful opportunity to enhance and develop self-confidence, self-awareness, communication skills, tolerance for adversity, and personal leadership style. Your training as a CIT will begin with retreats in the spring, and by the time your two-week summer session begins you will be comfortable and confident with your skills. This is an endless opportunity to be a positive role model and to make new friends. We ask you to push yourself and the experience wonders you have never imagined!
ALSO, CIT’s need at least 2 reference forms filled out and returned to camp! These can be mailed physically, or scanned and emailed to: email@example.com
Counselor in Training Description:
- Must be 16 years of age and in high school
- Live in a cabin with up to ten campers and assist with the leadership and guidance of campers
- Leads and assists everyday counselor responsibilities receiving constant feedback
- Responsible for interpreting the rules, policies, and traditions of Camp Kern to campers
- Must have a “Kids First” vision and place the camper’s safety and camp experience first
- Must have interest in, concern for, and the ability to work with children as well as the ability to understand
- Responsible for motivating camper participation in camp programs, cabin activities, and meals
- Must encourage a fun, positive, and safe environment within the parameters of the YMCA mission
- Assist with CIT service projects around Camp Kern
- CITs have time off to go home on the weekends between Saturday’s check-out and Sunday’s check-in
This progressive program provides opportunities for constant feedback and individualized training for those interested in becoming a future Camp Kern counselor.
The CIT program includes two optional retreat dates for those who applied and registered for the CIT program. It is a time to get to know fellow CIT’s and do some fundamental trainings of the CIT program. Dates TBA. These retreats are not required for the program, and are intended as an added enhancement for those who are available. Interviews may be scheduled for these weekends.