Counselor In Training
CIT Program Description
This three-week program is a wonderful opportunity to enhance and develop self-confidence, self-awareness, communication skills, tolerance for adversity, and personal leadership style. Your training as a CIT will begin with retreats in the spring, and by the time your CIT summer session begins you will be comfortable and confident with your skills. This is an endless opportunity to be a positive role model and to make new friends. We ask you to push yourself and then experience wonders you have never imagined!
- Must be 16-17 years of age and in high school
- Live in a cabin with up to ten campers and assist with the leadership and guidance of campers
- Leads and assists everyday counselor responsibilities, receiving constant feedback
- Responsible for interpreting the rules, policies, and traditions of Camp Kern to campers
- Must have a “Kids First” vision and place the camper’s safety and camp experience first
- Must have interest in, concern for, and the ability to work with children as well as the ability to understand
- Responsible for motivating camper participation in camp programs, cabin activities, and meals
- Must encourage a fun, positive, and safe environment within the parameters of the YMCA mission
- Assist with CIT service projects around Camp Kern
- CITs have time off to go home on the weekends between Saturday’s check-out and Sunday’s check-in
CIT-A: Sessions 1-3
CIT-B: Sessions 3-5
CIT-C: Sessions 5-7
CIT-D: Sessions 7-9
CIT Application Process
1) Register! Click here to start.
3) Once all paperwork is submitted, a mock interview will be scheduled. This is an opportunity to ask questions and your chance to share what you're most looking forward to as a CIT. These interviews can also be scheduled during the CIT retreats.
4) Attend some CIT retreats and get ready for the summer! The CIT program includes two optional retreat dates. Dates are TBD.
These begin on Friday at 6:30 pm and continue until 11:00 am on Sunday. These retreats are not required for the program, and are intended as an added enhancement for those who are available.
2023 Summer Camp Sessions
Session 1: June 4-9
Session 2: June 11-16
Session 3: June 18-23
Session 4: June 25-30
Session 5: July 2-7
Session 6: July 9-14
Session 7: July 16-21
Session 8: July 23-28
Session 9: July 30-August 4